Monday, March 15, 2010

FEATURED CURVY GIRL:::Anansa Sims











Singersroom recently sat down with Anansa Sims, daughter of Supermodel Beverly Johnson and upcoming model in her own right. The ingénue has appeared in Essence Magazine and in an ad campaign for Ashley Stewart. She also bares all as a model for Curvation, a line of sexy and functional under-things. Anansa has modeling in her genes but she’s more than just a pretty face. Before she set her sights on taking the full figured modeling industry by storm, she earned her MBA and worked briefly as a financial analyst. The versatile beauty is taking the full-figured modeling industry by storm and intends to use her fame to be a positive role model to young women.

SR: Despite being the offspring of super-modeling royalty, you seem to be as humble as they come. How do you stay grounded?

Anansa: I’ve been fortunate because I haven’t really encountered any drama on set. I am a Christian so I always put God first and make important decisions with the help of family. I look up to my Mom as an example.

SR: What do you enjoy about modeling? Anansa: It’s a fun creative job and I really like the flexibility that you have in terms of your schedule. It’s also fun getting all glam and having your hair and makeup done. SR: Your mother was the first African-American model to grace the cover of American Vogue. Did she encourage you to follow in her footsteps?

Anansa: No she definitely discouraged it at first, before I had completed my education. Once I had that under my belt, she became very supportive of my decision to go into modeling. She’s happy for me now.

SR: You earned your MBA. Do you ever think about going into the corporate arena?

Anansa: I actually worked in a corporate position for a while as a financial analyst. Math has always come very easily to me ever since I was a kid. I consider going back to it in the future. It’s a good feeling to have something so solid to fall back on. For now I want to take advantage of the opportunities that are available to me as a plus sized model.

SR: What do you think about the term “plus sized?”

Anansa: I don’t think it’s offensive at all. I feel like it’s a positive sign that full figured modeling is taking off the way that it is. I’m glad that models with curves are gaining exposure.

SR: Which brands would you recommend for real women with real curves?

Anansa: I really love Ashley Stewart. They have cute, trendy pieces. The fit is always great and I feel confident, sexy and classy in their clothes.

SR: Are you involved in any charitable endeavors?

Anansa: Right now I’m getting involved with young women to encourage positive body image, safe sex and healthy eating and lifestyle choices. I also want to promote the importance of education to the next generation.

SR: What do you see in your future personally as well as professionally?

Anansa: I see myself married with a family in the future. I want to continue to grow in my career as a model and take on more projects and do magazine covers. I want to break barriers for full figured women of color. I’m also working on fashion and accessory lines.

SR: Anansa, you have brains, beauty and incredible lineage. How does it feel to be young, black and fabulous? Anansa: Oh, well first of all thank you. It feels great! Life is short. You have to enjoy it while you’re here. Keep God as the main focus and try not to sweat the small stuff.

http://www.singersroom.com/lifestyle/171/Anansa-Sims-Beauty-and-Brains


For Sims, the concern that plus-sized beauties lead unhealthy lives and contribute to obesity in our society is the exact type of mentality she hopes to change. She believes it’s this thought process that leads young women to eating disorders and unnecessary fixations with unattainable body types. To be “plus-size” in the modeling industry is everything over size 6. The average American woman wears a size 14.


Anansa’s favorite beauty products are:

Palmer’s Coco ButterYon-ka Cleansing facial

Carmex

Studio Tech Foundation – MAC

Woodwinked Eyeshadow-MAC

Sunbasque Sheertone Powder Blush-MAC

Buy all her favorites at The Beauty Beat Store
I love this look!!

Anansa Sims, daughter of Supermodel Beverly Johnson



(SORRY FOR THE BLURRY PIC:: I enlarged a thumbnail sized pic)

2 comments:

TheMochaPeach said...

She is SO GORGEOUS!! Seriously!!!

Mama's Girl Alexis said...

I love this post. She is very pretty and I believe she would make it happen for all beautiful plus sized models and she will be a positive role model....