Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Langston Hughes....Brownstones...New York!!!

In the television show I Love Lucy (1951–1957), the Ricardos lived in a converted brownstone apartment building on New York's East 68th Street owned by their friends the Mertzes.

In the Audrey Hepburn classic Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961), much of the action took place in her brownstone apartment building.

On the popular American television program The Cosby Show (1984–1992), the affluent Huxtable family, the show's central characters, lived in a Brooklyn brownstone.

Carrie Bradshaw, the protagonist of Sex and the City, resided in a brownstone at a fictitious Upper East Side address in New York City.

On Sesame Street, Gordon Robinson and his wife Susan own the brownstone 123 Sesame Street, and are the landlords to Bert and Ernie.

Langston Hughes House at 20 East 127th Street built in 1869


Langston Hughes lived in this house from the late 1940's until his death in 1967.

There are also six original fireplaces, as well as sliding doors between the front and back parlors. Frosted glass enlivens the vestibule doorway, while a colorful skylight emits multi-hued beams from the top of the stairwell. A peaceful, tree-shaded garden in back must have offered Mr. Hughes a contemplative oasis in the middle of the Harlem he loved so much.


The home of Langston Hughes...



Wow. Langston Hughes lived here...he wrote some of my favorite poems and books in this house. #IGOTCHILLS



When I get my paper tight, I'm gonna buy his home the next time it goes on sale. WATCH.


Isn't it beautiful??... My daydreams look like this...I can totally see myself chilling on the stoop/steps watching people walk by...jamming to some Neo-Soul in my ear-phonez. Lovely.

SCHWEEEEEET!
Some of my favorite movies had Brownstones::: Best Man...Love Jones....Disappearing Acts....
-----
There are many brownstones throughout numerous New York City neighborhoods, especially in the Brooklyn neighborhoods of Park Slope, Fort Greene, Cobble Hill, Prospect Heights, Brooklyn Heights, and Bedford Stuyvesant. The Manhattan neighborhood of the Upper West Side, too, retains many glorious brownstones. New York City brownstones are highly desired, and usually cost several million dollars to purchase.
--------
In Chicago, a brownstone typically refers to a free-standing house, originally built for a single family, clad in brownstone. While many Chicago brownstones have subsequently been split into multiple rental or condominium units, many others remain single-family homes. These houses attract the young and newlyweds. Due to varieties in stone color, some Chicago dwellings are called "graystones".
Due to urban renewal, brownstones are developing in Detroit as well.
-----



I have always had a fascination for Brownstones. It started when I seen my first Spike Lee movie back in the mid-late 80's. As I began studying the Harlem Renassiance and the culture of that era my love for Brownstones turned into a this huge desire to move east and buy my own Brownstone. I haven't given up that dream...I can soooo see myself as a New Yorker owning a whole block of Brownstones and naming the edition Brown Sugah. Very ambitious, I know... but dreams do come true...

6 comments:

Trina said...

I love Brownstones! One day I too will own one. I see they built some in Texas as well.

VioletPoetry said...

Really? I didn't know they built them in Texas also. Cool Beans!

TheMochaPeach said...

We have brownstones in Atlanta too..downtown areas of most cities..big and small have them. I live in the historic Downtown Decatur..we have them and they are gorgeous. For you I will take some pics of them :)

VioletPoetry said...

Really Mocha???!! I would so love to see that! Brownstones in ATL??????!!! *drools*

Natasha said...

LOVE brownstones! There are some in DC and Baltimore as well Michelle. Other cities began to get inpsored by NYC and build brownstones. When buying a home one day a brownstone would be one of my choices. Great post!

VioletPoetry said...

Thanks Natasha!! I had no idea there were Brownstones in so many major cities. I always thought it was a NY thang! LOL